Friday, April 13

McCall's 6507


Finished the dress!

I added a review on PR as well...
McCall's 6507

Pattern Description:
Dress has fitted, bias front bodice with cowl neckline, single layer overlay (wrong side of fabric shows) with tucks, invisible back zipper and baby narrow hems. Designed for soft lightweight wovens.

Pattern Sizing:
6-22, I made 16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes & no.

The pattern was well drafted, but my print had a couple of errors. The "back" bodice was labeled as "front", and there were no sizes marked for the tucks on the overlay (there were two sets of tucks, I had to figure out which set to use)

At that point, I decided not to use the instructions, especially since they told you to sew the tucks down on the overlay before you attach the bodice. I think that would have caused the tucks to get caught up in the waist seam. I made the skirt and bodice separately but I did not stitch down the tucks until I sewed the top and bottom together. (hope that made sense)

I also believe the bias finish at the waist could potentially be bulky (or messy if you used a slippery fabric). My fabric was stable enough to serge clean, but had I used a lighter fabric I would have installed a waist-stay instead.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It's a beautiful dress. I made it to wear to a bridal shower. For a semi-different look, I think the external tucks could be turned into internal pleats and the dress would still have a pretty drape for the overlay. Using a sheer fabric for the overlay would be cute too!

I also like the draping at the neckline and back out and it's not too low cut on either side. The way the sleeves fall is nice too. Sexy, but demure!

Fabric Used:
Polyester Simply Silky Print from Joann's

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
none

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I thought I wouldn't make it again, but a solid color would be a great wardobe addition. I don't see this dress as trendy, but a classic look that you could wear for a good while.
The problem area was fixed after some steam was applied. Washing it didn't make the pleats fall, I guess they were pressed in good!

side view... I will have to steam these wrinkles out before I wear it.

The back I was worried about, I have a broad back/shoulders, but the cut of the sleeves is really flattering, and the flare of the skirt balances everything out. 

12 comments:

Aminat said...

Wow great job, what a beautiful dress.I really love the back detail

Virginia's Daughter said...

Very nice dress! Perfect marriage of pattern and fabric! Nice work!

narcissaqtpie said...

Thank you ladies!!!

Shawnta said...

Lovely dress and fabric!!!

Tee said...

Beautiful! You'll get lots of compliments at the bridal shower!

Myra said...

Perfect dress for a bridal shower! This is just gorgeous! You should be very proud!

Candice said...

Beautiful dress, simply beautiful!

Adrienne said...

Very pretty!

Shari said...

Beautiful dress! I got this pattern but have yet to make it. Thanks for the great pattern review very helpful.

Sing of Singature Style said...

Can I have one? So cute.

THE DIVINITUS said...

great work.

Nekiah Torres said...

WOW! That dress turned out beautifully! I love the cut/shape of it! You done good girl! Hope you are well! Kiah