Saturday, August 2
I can't stop crocheting!! I'm not to worried though, the newness will wear off in due time. I did get a handle on my yarn stash in these early stages. I have relegated myself to only what will fit in the chest. Which I plan on keeping full. To the brim.
The only thing that worries me about my new hobby is which direction I want to go in as far as "projects".
I spent a few days consumed with printing free online patterns and have collected a 3-inch binder full - organized by type - lol! I have also been to three libraries looking for crochet books to preview for purchase. So far I want none, which is good, because I already have 5, plus 3 crochet-related magazines. I also have joined Ravelry (I'm narcissaqtpie there too), but I am taking that site in very small doses because there is sooo much info and inspiration there.
My main problem is that, though I can read a written pattern with no problems, my stitch count and gauge are always way off.
I know I am supposed to make a swatch (which = muslin in sewing terms) but I totally am not with that idea. With crochet/knit swatching you create a portion of the pattern's stitches with the recommended yarn in order to measure and figure out what size of hook/needle to use. This is to ensure you get a properly sized item. What happens if your stitches don't match the pattern's guage? you have to unravel the whole thing and try a different sized hook/needle. No sir-ree, not for me. I need results/gratification. At least with sewing you get to try on or wear your muslin.
I think I crochet too loose and sometimes too tight but so far the projects I have completed have all turned out fine - which I attribute to my sewing math.
I am just extremely wary about trying to use anymore patterns. I really want to try hats, amigurumi, some of Debbie Stoller's projects, and PURSES!!! but I have a feeling, that I won't be so successful.
My latest project, "That Girl" from GYCO II turned out decent, but after I made the ribbed waistline with almost double the rows recommended because I was stitching too tight - I pretty much did my own thing. Which I had no clue what I was doing, but I liked it >:)
Another lesson from this project was to buy yarn according to dye lot. I bought 3 rolls/balls of Sugar n Cream in cornflower blue, one of them I discovered was a different hue! I recovered by adding "stripes" of the off color.
If I scrap pattern usage, then I can just freeform while learning the different decorative stitches and see what I come up with --- BUT there are so many cool patterns! I'll just have to take it day by day.
On the sewing front... I need to get on it!!! The garden party is three weeks away. I am "in progress" but not motivated. I'll probably do the last minute sprint sew and cross the finish line by a nose hair.
I did hustle up a quickie stash busting dress though. No pattern, just zig-zagged some rows of elastic at the top and underbust of this border print.