Thursday, April 10

inspired by lucky

I fell for a top in the latest Lucky (May08). Check out "A Month of Outfits" online or starting on page 228 in the mag. It's the Nicole Farhi trapeze top. I absolutely LOVE the way they styled it!

At first I thought what pattern can duplicate this look? I immediately thought of McCall's 5636, but shockingly (!) I don't have it and don't really want to purchase it shockingly (!). As I studied the pic more I saw that it's just a sleeveless button down blouse w/ drawstring shoulders. Easy to duplicate by revamping an oversized men's button down.

Lucky (get it?) for me hubby is the wear 'em and chuck 'em type so I regularly rescue his throwaways for semi annual donation. I found a suitable brown heather shirt got busy.

It went from this

to this

then this


and finally


kinda kewl

skinny belted - it's just OK.
I like the way lucky did it.
unbelted - don't like it this way too much.
Maybe unlayered and over a pencil skirt it could work?
later peeps!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow,, I would have never think about converting a shirt like,,, no words,, girl, no words

Christina said...

Great transformation! I agree, it looks better with a belt. Hmmm... I may have to copy this.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Unknown said...

ooooh...nice. i love revamping button down shirts as well.

yeah, it would look nice with a pencil skirt. big uptop...slender on bottom. i think that's a good look

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

kewl wardrobe refashioning! I like it belted with the thicker belt best...but kudos on a job well executed!

Jada said...

You go girl!!!Taking what you have and making it into something fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

totally cool! What a neat and quick re-fashioning idea? Plus it looks fab. Way to go.

Heather

Faye Lewis said...

GREAT REFASHION job!

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for cool color combinations. Love yours!

Anonymous said...

OMG love it. I was looking at that issue and that shirt too and now you have done it. I will have to get a big shirt to try that and then ask you how you did it...hee hee. Great job