Thursday, November 3

wooo-saaaah

I wasn't going to share this at first, but my Sister said it was OK.

Now, back to my whiny post the other day. The real reason I was feeling inadequate in my sewing is because I have been tasked with making a wedding gown for my sister.

Yea...

holy.crap.com
what.is.i'm.gonna.do.com
give.me.oxygen.com

Background: So when my sister announced this summer her upcoming nuptials (congrats Boo!) I knew I wanted to be a big part of the behind the scenes, so I offered up my services for the bridesmaid's gown. The problem with that was coming up with a dress for multiple body types. My suggestion was the convertible dress, something like:

via www.mccall.com


Everyone agreed and she found the dresses in RTW. Fine, that saves me some time/effort for something else. But I told her I'm still making mine because I don't want to pay $90 for a polyester dress, when I can make a silk one for equal or less. I'm the Matron of Honor anyway, and I can be "special". So that solved, up next was the problem of the wedding gown.

now, my sister (middle child) is...... how can I say this without pissing her off........
a dreamer
delusional.

The dress she envisioned was not working out on the day of our gown search. I felt really sad for her that day and wished that her dream could come true somehow. She really deserves it. As fate would have it, the very next day (or week later) she found a dress in a vintage shop that she could modify into her dream dress. So we got the gown cleaned, and came up with a game plan.

Now guess who became the lead on that project?

I'm making a wedding gown.

The panic/sheer terror/heart arrhythmias have settled. But, I'm making a wedding gown. Not from scratch, gosh no, I am modifying an existing gown.

but it's my sister's wedding gown.

I am honored and excited and and and... there is miles of lace/tulle/satin/beading involved.

Of course I didn't tell her I was nervous about it, but I let her know what I was comfortable doing, and you know what? I am going to ROCK THIS THING OUT!! I think it's the perfect challenge and confidence booster to take me to the next level in my sewing and creativity. I'm not going to let any self doubt and negative thoughts cloud our vision and block her dream.

So, I guess I will be sharing a new "adventure." (I really am taking several deep breaths here.) The plan, the prep, the process and the progress. While I won't be able to reveal the dress until it's all over, I will share the things I make for myself and my daughter, Miss Junior Bridesmaid. Possibly some things for the bride to be.

So stay tuned...

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Congrats to your sister and what an Awesome challenge and will stay tuned.

Victoria said...

We're here cheering you on! I know you'll do an EXCELLENT job for her. What a great honor and she couldn't have picked a more qualified person. The bigger projects like that can be a little daunting but they sure do bring out the best in you. Can't wait to see it!

Virginia's Daughter said...

You can do it.....YOU WILL DO IT! Many congrats to your sister.....and you for the accepting the challenge!

greytone said...

Know that your fellow dressmakers in the blogosphere are supporting you and the loving gesture you are making for your sister.

You will do splendidly!...and you'll get there "one stitch at a time." I will be following you, so give us all a shout-out if you run into something unexpected!

Melodye said...

Congrats to your sister and kudos to you or being such a good sis! You can do it!!!!

Carol said...

You can do it! Remember how much you love your sister, make a respect pact with her for the duration of the project and you will be fine. :-) Can't wait to see the dress! Congrats to your sis as well!

SEWING SHAY said...

How wonderful, you are going to do a great job! Can't wait to see the finished project.