Tuesday, October 26

Goal check*

Remember?
  1. Buy only ONE pattern per month.
  2. Reduce pattern stash by 100.  
  3. Get a REAL wardrobe. Based on Tim Gunn's 10 essentials. 
  4. Get rid of 1/2 of my fabric stash, sewing or otherwise.
At last check I was making good progress. So now...
  1. I totally gave up on the one pattern per month thing, so I wont even bother. I have reduced my buying though, at least compared to previous years... lol
  2. Since June I have purged (recycled) another 51 patterns! So that puts me at 129 out so far. I probably have purchased quarter of that so far in the year. I feel good and ashamed at the same time. I still plan on continuing to purge monthly until the end of the year. I have been able to reorganize my patterns by garment type and find many duplicate styles, which is very helpful.
  3. My wardobe is coming along, I have been lucky to thrift a few very gently worn designer tailored oxford shirts for very cheap - like less than $10, oh & I got my real trench coat. But I still need: Basic Black Dress & Sweatsuit alternative. This has been a good exercise for me because it is helping regain/discover my sense of style. I think getting these basic wardobe essentials does not define your style per se, it just gives you a foundation. I was finally able to purge a lot of mess from my closet.
  4. I have been sewing, purging, buying... This is moving slow.
I can't believe I've never had a basic black skirt! So I made one...


It's Butterick 5539. I really love this pattern, so you'll be seeing more of it :)

The skirt was perfect for me in terms of comfort. I had been considering a standard pencil pattern, like McCalls 6038, but I was not excited about the narrow waistbands cutting in or riding up and the "dressy-ness". I am more comfortable with a wide or elastic waistband - "shlumpy-ness". But this let me have my shlump and still look dressed. I got a few compliments on my outfit yesterday and I felt good, which was great on a Monday!

8 comments:

MAD14kt said...

Thanks for reminding me to make a few more :)

sewistafashionista said...

I enjoy reading how your goals are coming along. And I am going to check out the skirt pattern.

toy said...

I'm happy to hear you are making progress with your wardrobe building, I burnt one of my black skirts the other day so I have to make one also

Adrienne said...

Keep it up girlie!

Sue said...

The black skirt looks great and so does the outfit.

Joyce in NC said...

Great idea. I also need another basic black skirt.

Aminat said...

Glad you are making progress....Ride on sistah.... Love your skirt

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Well you look really cute so you should have gotten compliments!